Tuesday 18 January 2011

A year in reflection: January

12 months of reflection in 12 days & then the baby will be a big boy. Each day(month) will include my favorite picture from that month & any wise tidbits or little snippets of my mind for memories sake.

1. January

This picture brings back a flood of memories. Labor & delivery was nothing of what I had mentally & physically prepared for.
I will never forget that in this picture I still had my sneakers and socks on - that the shirt I'm wearing I borrowed from Andrea and, in typical Erin fashion, I ruined it. I remember watching you get cleaned off behind the receptionist desk. And I remember being so completely and utterly exhausted I could barely open my eyes to look at you when they put you on my chest - thankfully your Daddy made me cause I got to see your little scrunched up face for the first time. My legs shook uncontrollably, I had the chills and everything around me seemed so surreal. I had been tough like everyone thought I would be when giving birth but from that moment on I completely put myself in everyone elses care. It wasn't until then that I thought - holy cow, what would I have done without Kevin. I absolutely could not picture anyone else in the world being with me. He knows me so well - he knew exactly when I needed silence, when I needed a joke, and when I needed to focus ...that kind of stuff you don't learn in a birthing class.
Reflecting makes me nervous & excited for your baby sisters birth. I'm hoping her labor & delivery will provide a completely different experience and still be equally memorable for it's own reasons.
This is the picture that forever changed our lives & for that reason alone, I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a brilliant idea :) already looking forward to each of the next 12 days :)

    ReplyDelete