We've come full circle and today is our baby turns into a big boy.
Monday, 31 January 2011
Sunday, 30 January 2011
Logan had a wonderful birthday party. We slaved away all day getting food, decorations and the house ready & aside from me walking around like death from overindulging in cake batter the night before everything went perfectly :) We had tons of food - Logans birthday dinner consisted of a pork shoulder that Kevin smoked for 8hrs to make pulled pork sandwiches, homemade mac n cheese (a Logan fav) , and homemade applesauce (another Logan favorite). and of course homemade carrot cake with homemade icing (yummmmm) in the form of small cupcakes, big cupcakes and regular cake. Thank goodness Grandma & Grandpa managed to still make the trek into town despite all the snow because all of this homemade goodness that I had full intentions of making got passed onto Grandma while I worked on getting out of bed.
By nights end his little belly was stuffed sooo full we had to unbutton his jeans & then ultimately put on the good ole stretchy pants. He was spoiled with lots of gifts - only half of which he managed to open - birthdays take it out of you!!
Thank you to everyone who helped make Logans first birthday party wonderful. Although there were over 200 pictures taken I wish I had more of the decorations and everyone who came - I just wasn't on my A game :/ and therefore didn't have the camera attached to my eyeball. But within a day I'll have the other pictures posted in our Picasa photo album.
Happy Birthday Baby - we love you, lots.
Speaking of mrrrr - how could I pass up this picture. Logans first wound & it happened cause I couldn't hold on to his wriggly little body :/ All sorts of people tell me from here on out he's going to banging his head and boo boos as he figures out what his body can and can not do. But the first big one is never easy. The pain for him was fleeting but my heart felt heavy all day. Dylan came through big time with lots of kisses and big brotherly love which help ease everyones pain.
Friday, 28 January 2011
As Logan gets older I can see more & more of both Kevin & I in him. I'm anxious to see his little personality develop more but if I had to guess he's going to be a little thinker just like Kevin is. He (Logan that is) will just sit and stare, you'll think he's in a daze, but he blinks really slow and deliberately then raises his eyebrows as if something in his brain has just clicked. It cracks us up - what Kevin doesn't know is that he does the same thing. Logans little piece of me shows through in his cheery disposition and winning smile :) Even when he was a wee baby he always did well in the hands of strangers, he loves looking at all the people when we are out at the stores and has just recently taken up giving strangers the most "I'm gonna ham it up big time smile" Even the crabbiest people that look like they haven't smiled in a decade can't help but smile back...and I feel we did a good deed. Annnnd from the looks of it, it would appear Logan has snagged the perfect combination of our funny sides - I love how often he laughs and how there are days that go by without a cry. He finds the silliest things hilarious & loves a good scare.
He is beautiful inside & out.
Thursday, 27 January 2011
- Crib - obvious reasons. Got ours from a friend of a friend. Best $50 spent.
- Washable nursing pads - If I had to listen to the crinkle, crinkle of one more disposable nursing pad.....
- Blue hospital pacifier - We only used a pacifier for the first 4months but it was a life saver. All the other pacifiers Logan didn't like.
- Bjorn or other front baby carrier - When Logan wouldn't sleep on his own I'd plop him in there and go for a walk, it was lights out for him after 5mins
- Water bottle with straw - I was a thirsty moma, the second Logan started to nurse it was as if if was sucking my hydration right out of me. Kevin got me these cheap waterbottles from Wally that have a straw & they were perfect. I've now upgraded to the fancy pants ones Camelbak makes.
- Burp Cloths! - A must have for this family. Best if they are personalized by your crafty sister
- Swaddle blanket - For 5 months Logan slept in that thing. Awesome.
- Breast Pump - Luckily Andrea & I have timed our pregnancies accordingly and we've been able to give that thing a work out. I was bad at pumping but when I did it was nice to pass the bottle off to Kevin on the weekends at night.
- Nursing Cover - Kevin had one in his diaper bag and I had one in mine. I nursed everywhere and the general public is probably happy I had this, and therefore so am I
- Zutanos booties - better than socks, 'nuff said. We received the 0-6months ones as a gift and he still wears them now.
And cause it's hard to pick just 10...her are the 5 runner ups
- Pack n Play - Logan was in the pack n play for the first 2 weeks next to our bed. We don't use it on a regular basis but it's clutch for travel purposes.
- George - Or one favorite "go to" toy. Even now this is his favorite. We take it everywhere with us and it's a guaranteed distraction
- Space Saver High Chair - Even when Logan was itty bitty we put him in here in the fully reclined position just as somewhere to set him & it allowed him to join us at dinner even though he couldn't participate. Love how there are different recline positions.
- Baby Tub - We had a different one originally but it wasn't working well for us. We now have this one and LOVE it. It's a bit bigger so it's definitely not a space saver but it works really well for infants and there is tons of room on the other side for when they are older and can sit and splash.
But thats me & my 1st year must haves :)
Wednesday, 26 January 2011
The night before this picture was taken I told Kevin we were pregnant, again :) I flew from CT to meet up with him in VA Beach with the double lined pregnancy test in my pocket cause I knew he would want some proof.
Tuesday, 25 January 2011
Birth - 5 months old
* I nursed Logan anytime he was cranky if it had been 2hrs since the last time he ate
* His naps resembled nothing of a pattern. I tried to put him down or get him to rest if he had been awake for 2hrs
* Bedtime routine (bath, lotion, jammers & nursing) started at 6:30
* Bedtime 7pm
* I progessively eliminated feedings at night. At 4 months he was still nursing 3 times a night. At 5 months we quit cold turkey.
* Woke up for the morning between 5am-7am
5 months old - 10 months old
* I attempted (with success!) a 4 hour schedule: up for 2hrs, down for 2hrs
* He never really napped for the entire 2hrs but we stuck with the routine of him feeding every 4hrs
* Bedtime beginings (bath, lotion, jammers & nursing) started at 6:30
* Bedtime 7pm
* Slept until 6:30-7am :)
* I quit nursing him a month after we found out we were pregnant about 9 months and we made the switch to formula. It took 3 stressful weeks to make the switch....took him a while to take to the bottle
* We started solids at 5 months. At first it was just very liquid rice cereal after his morning feed. * By 7 months he was getting breakfast & dinner along with nursings and by 9 months we were doing breakfast, lunch/snack & dinner.
10 months old - present
* Wakes up at 7-7:30am
* Morning 6oz bottle of whole milk (started the switch at 11 months. At 11.5 month completely on whole milk)
* Breakfast at 8:30
* Nap 9:30-10am
* Up at 12pm
* Lunch at 12:30pm
* Nap 2:30-3pm
* Up 4:30
* Afternoon bottle 5oz
* Dinner 6pm
* Bedtime routine begins 7-730pm (bathtime optional, lotion, jammers, book, 4oz bottle)
* In bed 7:30-8pm
He is in a very predictable routine right now which I'm loving! During the week I have always tried my best to plan around his schedule because it's easy for me to do. On the weekends though we toss it up a little, which we pay for sometimes - but when Daddys home we like to do as much as we can :)
Our world is flowing well can't wait to rock it come May ;)
Monday, 24 January 2011
This kinda cheats the rules a little - here are 3 of my favs in one collage :) How could I decide between these 3??
I want to remember that Kevin was convinced we were having a girl. He wore pink to the doctors office the day we found out and that very same day we heard the Star Wars theme song in the car on the way into the appt. and because of the girl name we had picked out... this, to Kevin, was the icing on the cake, we were having a girl. He just about had me convinced. But then - there you were sure as the sky is blue, you were a boy. Kevin even had the ultrasound technician check a second time. All boy.
This little studs name, had he been a girl would have been: Leia Isabelle Hawk
For the record, I knew the day I found out I was pregnant that you were a boy :)
Have I mentioned how much I love Connecticut.
I need sunshine & warmth.
Sunday, 23 January 2011
Which makes me notsogood at doing the whole let him cry it out thing. I think the longest I've sat and listened to him cry is 30mins....30 of the longest minutes of my life. It's strange how I sit here now and I can barely remember .... but this little baby CRIED A LOT in the first 4 months of his life. I lived on the big blue yoga ball because he was happiest when he was held and bouncing. I called Kevin at least once a week in tears when all my best efforts to stop his crying didn't work. But we survived :) And like I said, it's kinda hard to remember those tough times because now Logan is an extremely happy baby. He hardly ever cries, so when he does he does for a good reason (or at least thats what I tell myself). With one exception: the car. From very early on we knew Logan didn't like the car and from very early on car rides with the baby are probably the single thing that has tried my patience to the max. You wanna see a grown woman cry harder than a baby - put me in the car with Logan for an 8hr trip. I'm hoping that in another year - when Kevin & I are on another long road trip with Logan & he is in the backseat being content at looking out the window - we will once again strain to remember just how bad Logan use to be in the car.
In the meantime - I've got at the very least another week to baby my baby & give him love when he cries.
Saturday, 22 January 2011
Best advice given when we were pregnant:
Erin: drink lots of water
Kevin: stay grounded & keep your eye on the prize
Best advice given from pediatrician:
Erin: "never wake a sleeping baby"
Kevin: "keep an eye on it"
Advice I'd pass on to other first time parents:
Erin: Every age & stage comes with its on set of worries and concerns
Kevin: Keep your eye on the prize
Biggest first year hurdle:
Erin: The last MRI
Kevin: The first cold
Best part about being a parent:
Erin: Watching Logan take in the world.
Kevin: Having a family of our own.
Worst part about being a parent:
Erin: Anything involving the car & the baby.
Kevin: Cleaning poo out of the tub.
Favorite comment from a stranger:
Erin: "You have such a happy baby"
Kevin: "Such bright blue eyes"
Word to live by:
Erin: Routine. Babies & adults thrive off routine and predictability.
Kevin: Patience. Sometimes you've got to step back & remember the big picture.
What do you think Logan is going to be when he grows up:
Erin: An athlete and a musican...are there professional xylophone players?
Kevin: Rocket Scientist
What has surprised me most about myself as a mother/father:
Erin: My energy...this ain't no 9-5'er
Kevin: That they let me leave the hospital with a newborn
I never want to forget:
Erin: Logans baby smell.
Kevin: His first laugh.
Whats the best part of my day:
Erin: When I get Logan up in the morning & when Daddy comes home.
Kevin: That look Logan has that says "Ha! I know you" and then he smiles : )
Friday, 21 January 2011
Post your Foto Friday pic!
Ohh this picture was hard to choose from. But I picked this one because it was a turning point in our life for more than one reason. For starters- we moved into our first house! Logans room was the very first room that was completely finished. He must have known we were home because the very same week we moved in he started napping. in his crib. for more than 30 mins. Thank the Lord. I remember being so shocked that I would go in and check on him every 30 mins & take pictures to document the moment. I remember just sitting. No tv on, no radio - just sitting & taking a deep breath and after a short amount of time I kinda missed him and found myself just waiting for him to wake up.
Kevin & I had such high hopes that we would have a great little sleeper on our hands - we wanted him to be able to nap in random spots with any amount of noise, in the bright sunshine or in the darkness of the night. But it turns out when the going gets tough you do just about anything to get them to sleep, eat & not cry. We have since purchased black out curtains, and a noise maker and when you're upstairs while the baby is sleeping you best be on your tiptoes using your whisper voice.
Thursday, 20 January 2011
mrrrr. If there is one thing that having a baby has made me miss more than ever it's family & friends or better yet those who are both ;) Motherhood has been a very trying experience. This first year, Kevin has been my only local outlet. He has been wonderful but lets be honest his logical, sense making responses or solutions while they do the trick - what I'm craving is the ear that can empathize with me so much it brings them to tears & the lets shake it off with a bottle of wine, a trip to target or a pint of ice cream - kindof girlfriend solution.
Weird how adding to your family makes you more lonely sometimes. Guess I just realize how much I want others that we love to share in the little moments of us growing up. It's been yeeeearrs since I've lived near/with family & friends and I swear one day in the future we will again.
Wednesday, 19 January 2011
what the old playroom closet looked like
Some Behr Ultra Koala Bear paint color on the walls in case anyone wanted to know ;)
Ahhh going home! As a whole I disliked our stay at the hospital. Logan was in the high risk nursery which meant that we had to travel down a couple floors and get buzzed in everytime we wanted to see him. I was having difficulty breastfeeding as I imagine a lot of new moms do and the nurses in the nursery weren't symphathic to that. I didn't cry when Logan was born but I was in tears almost everytime we left the nursery. I was asked by the nurses things like why I was picking up Logan? Do I need a reason?!! arg. I get fired up just thinking about it. The doctors wanted to keep Logan in the hospital for extra days but Kevin & I knew everything was fine with him and we pushed and pulled and jumped through hoops to get him out in normal time. Successs!!! So while our stay at the hospital wasn't exactly peachy you couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces as we walked out :)
We left the hospital February 2nd & I sat in the backseat with the baby all the way home.
Tuesday, 18 January 2011
Saturday, 15 January 2011
Friday, 14 January 2011
- Blanket - I know, strange but he is obsessed with all the blankets in our house
- And ... All done - see below :)
I still have hopes one day Foto Friday will be big time :) Come on peeps...
Post your Foto Friday pic:
Thursday, 13 January 2011
Might have to start thinking about investing in a babygate.
Wednesday, 12 January 2011
Tuesday, 11 January 2011
Heres hoping he naps well today
Friday, 7 January 2011
Thursday, 6 January 2011
he was fever free and happy as pie:
Monday, 3 January 2011
Saturday, 1 January 2011
- He grew two new teeth (total tooth count: 6) over Christmas break
- Is now somewhat mobile :)
- As of yesterday is now getting a bottles with half formula and half whole milk
- He has been informed there will be a little girl twirling around in less than 6 months
- Annnnnnddd....drumroll please.....he has a new playroom!!! (During our 8hr drive home from Christmas Kevin and I talked of switching the playroom & the guest room/office downstairs - the guest room use to be the bigger of the two rooms. But with all the new toys Santa brought and the little baby in my belly we figured that a playroom would benefit from a larger space.)
Soooo that very night we got home after driving for 8hrs we got to doing the switch. The new guest room required us taking down part of the wall and re-framing so those pictures will be coming perhaps next week when we finish with a fresh coat of paint BUT aside from a few more things needing to be hung on the walls the playroom is complete!