Sunday 5 June 2011

Labor & Delivery

Leaving for the hospital at 1:15am Tuesday May 31st

We checked into the hospital at 1:3oish on Tuesday morning. By the time we made it back to the labor & delivery room my mind had started to turn to mush...proven by me putting my gown on backwards... and my body had switched into baby delivering mode with my contractions intensifying three fold. I laid in the bed and closed my eyes.

At 1:48am my water broke. And I was crawling up the side of the bed in pain. I grabbed onto Kevins hand & didn't let go.

1:50am The urge to push. The doctor isn't there. I told the nurse the baby was coming, she checked and immediately asked Kevin to push the red button. In the background I heard all the nurses reassuring me that they have all delivered babies before that everything would be ok. My eyes are still closed & I'm still holding (squeezing) Kevins hand

The nurses keep telling me to resist the urge to push.
Impossible. So I push.
The doctor comes in just before the baby is about to come out.

A handful of pushes later and about 40mins after checking into the hospital Reagan Grace was placed on my belly and I finally open my eyes & let go of Kevins hand. Born at 2:09am in room 209 on the 31st of May.
done!

So again I didn't get the chance for an epidural, didn't even give the nurses a chance to hook me to an IV and part of me is convinced that I may never get the opportunity to experience them should there be any more baby hawks added to the nest. People tell me I'm lucky....in the moment I would never believe them. But the second it's over I couldn't imagine being in that much pain for any longer amount of time.

2 comments:

  1. So~~~I know for a fact that I took that picture and that was less than an hour before you delivered Reagan! Just glad I didn't take too many pics. or delay you more! !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a birth story. You are amazing Erin. I'm guessing that picture of you was taken after she came out? You look relieved. And beautiful as always. :)

    ReplyDelete