Monday 18 July 2011

Wordy, Sad & Exciting

It's a daily struggle to remind myself not to compare Logan to what other 17-18month olds are doing. It's a struggle not to get down when I see 8 month olds doing more than Logan. And it's a weird reality to have to teach and constantly work on skills like how to get to a sitting position, how to get onto knees, how to get from knees to feet, how to open drawers and cupboards, how to climb steps...all the things that are instinctual to other babies, all things we thought we would be wishing wouldn't come so fast - yet here we are teaching him how to be curious and open up cupboards that should have locks on them and teaching him to climb steps that should have gates on them.

It's not just the physical things either - he doesn't seem to comprehend things the way he should. He knows who Mommy & Daddy are and will say Dada but we've been waiting for Daddy to get home from work everyday since he was born and he has yet to show excitement or any sort of acknowledgment that Daddy wasn't here but now he is, and Daddy's a fun guy definitely worthy of a little excitement!!! And just in the last 2 months has he started reaching for me. But he still doesn't say Mama and just like with Daddy he doesn't get excited to see me.

We try not to complain about it to anyone and it's not even a big topic between Kevin and I but sometimes it really gets to me & he may not show it like I do, but I know it gets to him sometimes too... Especially now that everyones emotions are a little more heightened with the lack of sleep a newborn brings.

Having 2 babies that require a lot of time & effort without much return would get the best of anyone now & again.

All of this was brought on because just recently we received our initial Birth to Three evaluation paperwork in the mail which outlines what was evaluated and how Logan performed. When he was evaluated at 15months he was scored at the skill level of a 5-8month old in 3 of 4 categories and the skill level of an 8-10month old in the last category. Kinda a tough pill to swallow.

Anywhoo...

Gotta take it all in stride and put aside what's considered normal and live in our little world where normal is celebrating little moments like this: a couple steps behind the walker without moms help :)



6 comments:

  1. can't even imagine the struggle...

    and as much as you have words for this post, it leaves me feeling as though any words I say are inadequate

    Logan, we are sooo incredibly proud of all your hard work!! We love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin and Kevin, Logan is taking his time at growing up and like all parents we would like to see faster results, but someone upstairs has set the bar a little higher and challenging. So keep up what you're doing--showing him love and patience. I'm proud of you guys and I look forward everyday to see what the kids are up to.
    Love to everyone...xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I am a friend of Andrea's and a blocker of yours. You have a beautiful family and I have enjoyed watching it grow! I am so impressed by both you and Andrea - you both seem like such naturals at the mom thing. I know you may not feel that way so much because I am a mom of 4 and sometimes people tell me that and I rarely feel that way. Well, I sometimes feel that way and then I have a meltdown or one of my kids goes through a phase that totally throws me =) Humility right?

    One of my kids kind of goes to the beat of his own drum sometimes. Not physically but the way he processes. It is super frustrating because it takes so much more explaining to get him to understand math concepts that his younger sister (3 1/2 years younger at just 4) seems to pick up quickly. And he gets frustrated by it too, which just makes it that much tougher. But it is working and I try and remind myself that if we love him this much, enough to make sure that he gets "there" no matter what, he will. I also feel that he will have some kind of cool gift or talent as a result of having been wired a little differently. He has some really neat personality traits already. That said, I really feel for you. The unknown is scary, we all want our kids to have happy, secure, easy lives. I have faith that Logan will flourish with amazing parents. I love seeing everyone one of his "aha" moments. I like to think of all those little neurons firing up and making new connections. He is one lucky little guy!! Thanks for sharing =)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, you are an amazing mom! I know you and Kevin are doing a great job raising two lil cuties! I am glad you used your blog to express some of your thoughts, worries, concerns, just as you use it to express your excitement and thrills- it is a safe place with only people who love you reading it.
    I know that no situation is the same, but I do understand having to have a new "normal" for your own family, and really, for each child. Keep doing what you are doing! Your love, persistence, and patience are such great motivators for Logan to keep on keeping on:)
    Joyful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, Andrew seemed to hit the nail on the head when she said any words seem inadequate but I'll try my best. Keep your chin up girl, and keep that beautiful smile of yours coming. Every child is different and each day can bring its own ups and downs - but one thing is for sure and that's that you can go to bed each night with a smile on your face knowing you have two beautiful children who know they are loved by amazing parents each and every day, and there is no doubt they love you both with everything they have.

    I've said it before but you are an inspiration to all moms and make motherhood look so easy. You definitely give me something to strive for as a new mommy, so thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, you and Kevin are doing an amazing job raising your beautiful babies. Logan will turn out to be an amazing man with lots of special gifts and talents. With your guidance, he will flourish and will offer his unique gifts to the world in ways you never saw coming. Great things and endless gratitude are to come for your family!
    Love,
    Julie W.

    ReplyDelete