Wednesday 4 February 2015

He's 5




Mr. Logan Beckett turned 5 years old on January 31st.  I feel like there are so many things different & new with him that I'm a little overwhelmed at attempting to summarize the little boy that he is today.  I will try - it may come out a little messy or there might be some random bullet points.  It will be a bit hectic...

but so is Logan so thats fitting :)

This is his last year of PPCD (school for special needs children).  Next year he will be attending "school" full time.  I say "school" because we aren't 100% sure if he will be in a mainstream Kindergarten class, a Life Skills program or a little mixture of both.  Our dream and what we will fight for is for him to be in mainstream Kindergarten class with a one-on-one helper.  We will have that big meeting in April - wish us luck.  

Daddy shaved his hair off & I love it but it definitely made him look instantly 5 years old.  

We   He flippin broke his 2nd pair of miraflex (expensive) glasses in less than 6 months. Arg!  I hate glasses.  The first pair he took off while riding the bus and literally chewed on them until you couldn't see out of them.  The next pair happened while en route to Monster Jam on his birthday....same deal - he chewed them like a dog would chew on a bone.  It didn't help that they also got run over by a vehicle some how?!  We might need to consider going back to Walmart cheap-o glasses.  

He doesn't nap anymore :o  It's weird how that happened.  At the beginning of the school year I remember thinking I can't imagine Logan going without a nap.  Or maybe it was more I can't imagine myself not having at least an hour of a quiet house.  Turns out about the same time he dropped his nap he also started enjoying more tv shows.  So we still do quiet time - it just looks different.

He talks nonstop.  It's still not a typical talk.  It's still very scripted and predictable.  But it's words and it's communication.  

He moves nonstop.

He eats nonstop.

He is funny.  He loves to laugh.  And loves a good scare.

He throws fits.  Moreso recently.  Kevin thinks if he is 2/3 years behind then perhaps this is Logan going through the terrible twos & threes??  I think he is finally realizing and getting frustrated with his capabilities.  He gets so super frustrated when he can't do something.  Shouts "I can't do it" over and over again.  It makes me sad when I step back & think about it. 

98% of the time on any given day - regardless of whatother  kids I'm watching, no matter the other ages of the other kids -  he is the most difficult one of the bunch combined :/  I can't even tell you what that is like.

Then again sometimes he is the most calm cat around.  

He loves unconditionally.  If he likes you, then he loves you & you will know it 

But not one soul on earth will come close to being who Daddy is to him.  I can't even compete with Daddy.  Those two are the closest of close.  Daddy has a different kind of patience with him.  

As of January we put him on medicine.  An extremely low dose form of Ritalin.  EVERY single teacher/therapist has said that his focus is non existent.  In an effort to help that we are trying this avenue. The very first dose we noticed a difference. A very minimal difference & most likely  Kevin & I would probably be the only ones to notice - But it's a difference.  We have since increased the dosage, & yes, I do think it helps.  We will probably meet with another doctor in the near future to try another form of medicine that might help even more. 

A week before his 5th birthday HE FIGURED OUT HOW TO OPEN A DOOR ?!! Yikes.  The next morning I was at Walmart buying door knob locks.  

I will potty train him over spring break.  Even if it breaks me that boy will be potty trained.

Happy Birthday!!!

2 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to tell you Erin--how proud I'm of you Kevin. Logan is amazing and looks so grownup----lovin that pic of Reagan hugging him. I think of all yenz daily and pray that God gives
    you the strength to help Logan grow.....love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Logan! Hope you have lots of fun! Love Erica

    ReplyDelete