Thursday 21 March 2013

4 flights, 2 kids, 1 Moma

I won't go into details about our epic vacation but I will make up for it with details of how I took my two babies on an airplane by myself for the first time ever.

To Houston
Flight #1
Providence to Philadelphia

The picture below was taken over an hour after we boarded the flight.  And we were still on the ground, still on the runway, it was weathering and the pilot had just announced he had no idea what was going on and wasn't sure if the flight was going to actually happen or not.  
I was one stressed Moma.  I was determined not to break out any of the in-flight entertainment until we were in the air but I eventually had to cave with a snack.  Having 2 kids on a not moving airplane is like my 3rd worst fear and there I was.  My saving grace - having an entire row to ourselves.
 
We eventually took off but I think we sat on the airplane not moving for 1.5hrs.  Once in the air we watched a short Mickey Mouse movie while Moma took a couple deep breaths and by the time that was over we were getting close to landing.  At which point I busted out some books and we read until we were on the ground.
Flight #2
Philadelphia to Houston

I managed to have just enough time to change diapers before we boarded our next flight and again we had the entire row to ourselves :)  We played, ate, read books, did a couple puzzles on the tablet and flipped through the Skymall magazine.  We made it.  No one cried. 


This is how we traveled around the airport - the the double wide.  When we boarded I somehow managed to carry Logan, push the folded stroller, and keep Reagan by my side.  I dropped the stroller off right before we boarded and continued to carry Logan while directing Reagan where to go.  I probably could have let Logan walk but I know my kids strengths and weaknesses - listening and walking are not Logans strengths. And when you're by yourself you choose the less stressful option, always.

Not once did I ever ask for help but not once did someone ever offer to help.  

Coming Home
Flight #3 Houston to Chicago

These next 2 flights had SUPER GREAT potential to be completely awful.  At this point in the viral vacation my kiddos were still blowing through double digit diapers a day.  I decided not to eat or drink to increase my odds of having a bathroom free travel day.  I was tired and hungry and had no coffee.  My kids were sick & miserable. And we just boarded a plane.

We didn't have a full row to ourselves.

But this was us after being in the air for 20mins.  And it remained that way for almost 40mins - I think I even managed to tilt my head back and close my eyes :o


Flight #4
Chicago - Providence

Again not a full row to ourselves.  There were two empty seats behind me and I so badly wanted the man next to us to move back there but I didn't have the gusto to tell ask him to.  I was barely hanging on.  I was sensitive to the littlest things the kids were doing, I didn't have the energy to be the super mom I was on the first two flights.  But somehow we made it.  No one cried.  The kids were great on the plane.

Best news: my bag of over preparedness for diaper explosions went untouched :)

My advice: Remove your mom status for that day and turn into Mary Poppins

No comments:

Post a Comment